Tuesday, March 28, 2006   2:06 AM

Flash back to my childhood.

Did any of you take swimming lessons at the Charlottetown YMCA? I went to the Y for tumbling turtles, and later gym and swim. One of the exercises was intended to teach us how to dive. The problem: it involved jumping off a plywood box at the end of the pool. Those of you who know me well, know I have a fear of jumping off of anything, big or small. There were no diving boards at the Y pool, but when it was time for the deep end, out came the plywood box. The plywood box was designed to balance on the edge of the pool; it had steps on the deck side and an overhang on the pool side. The other girls never seemed to have an issue with the box, but as it became closer to my turn I would get more and more nervous. I can still remember standing up on that plywood box, only two feet off the water, feeling it teeter on the edge underneath me. This is my earliest memory of my fear of jumping; it's a long time since I've been reminded of it.



lexalou's Last.fm Weekly Artists Chart

Links


Recently